Body Worlds Museum Experience
Body Worlds is Gunther von Hagen’s original museum experience that is on currently in London, it is even open on Christmas Day! It is a must-see exhibition of real human bodies.
“Dr Gunther von Hagens’ renowned exhibition of real human bodies has sparked curiosity and awe around the world with over 50 million visitors globally. Body Worlds permanent flagship museum experience at 1 Piccadilly Circus is open 365 days a year from 10 am – 7 pm.”
Journey through the human body and discover the magic and mysteries that lie underneath the skin. Expect a unique, exciting and interactive experience, described by many as ‘emotional’, ‘extraordinary’ and even ‘life-changing’. All anatomical specimens in the exhibition are real. It is the only exhibition of real human bodies with its own established donor programme. Currently, there are over 18,000 donors, worldwide, who approved to donate their body to for public display and educational purposes.
It is totally aimed at all ages! The minimum that they recommend for children is 6 years old, but they do welcome children of all ages every day. It is recommended that you to prepare your children for what they will see, so they understand what to expect during the exhibition.
The Junior Doctor programme is a fun, interactive and educational tour designed for budding young doctors who want to learn more about anatomy and how their bodies work.
Burning questions will be answered, brain-busting facts learnt and little minds expanded. Children make their way around three floors of science, art and health education, boggling at the intricacies and super powers of the human body and getting hands on with anatomy, learning about everything from measuring your blood pressure to performing CPR, to the importance of mental well being on your overall health.
- ‘Plastinating’ is a technique where body fluids are replaced by a sort of silicone rubber. The bodies are dry, odourless and will last longer than Egyptian mummies!
- The skin has been removed from the ‘plastinates’, so all bones, muscles, nerves, veins and organs are revealed and visible.
- All the bodies that are used in the exhibition are donated by people who in life decided to donate their body to BODY WORLDS for educational purposes. Long after they have passed away, their bodies will teach you everything there is to know about the human anatomy.
- The ‘Plastinates’ are standing in a large variety of active positions. This is to show you which muscles and body parts you use when you for instance jump or dance or play tennis.
- You can see the influence the choices you make have on your body. How smoking effects your lungs for instance, or how an artificial knee or hip fits in your body.
- Besides anatomy, the exhibition teaches you about the lifestyle choices that you make and the effects on your body.
For families there is a special discounted Family Ticket available. This ticket is valid for 4 persons (2 adults and 2 children or 1 adult and 3 children). Children up to 5 years of age receive free entrance to the exhibition.
Posted by: Sarah Dixon | Posted on: December 10, 2019 | Posted in: TRAVEL